Neil Baptie crowned player of the year
October 4th, 2019
Over 60 players, coaches, staff and family members from the East Kilbride Pirates senior team gathered at Committee Room No 9 in Glasgow last Friday evening for the club’s annual Player of the Year awards night.
The evening culminated with quarterback Neil Baptie being named as Player of the Year in recognition of his outstanding performance during the 2019 season.
The other big award of the evening, the Rob Worboys Players’ Player of the Year award, saw veteran Defensive Lineman Steven Kane recognised by his teammates for his contribution to the season’s success.
This year’s Offensive, Defensive and Player of the Year awards were sponsored by OnPoint Financial. The three winners received an extra award from OnPoint’s Steven Downie. who was also on hand to present these.
“We had many successes to celebrate from our first year back in Division 1, and many outstanding individual performances,” said Club Chair Amanda McDonald. “I’d like to congratulate all our winners and nominees and thank our club sponsor Committee Room No 9 for providing an outstanding venue for the evening, and for their support throughout the season. Likewise, I’d like to extend my thanks to Steven Downie from OnPoint Financial for his continued support of the team.”
The Pirates are now hard at work planning for the 2020 season. A try out session for new players will take place on Sunday 5 January from 12-3pm at Hamilton Palace Sports Ground. To find out more contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The winners in full
- Rookie of the Year – Fraser McDonald
- Also nominated – Ker Stuart, Struan Bailey
- Barry Nunn Most Improved Player of the Year – Glenn Davis and Ryan Miller
- Also nominated – Andrew McBride, Aaron Callaghan
- Special Teams Player of the Year – James Lightbody
- Also nominated – Greg Atkinson, Declan Kelly
- Lineman of the Year – Mark Alexander
- Also nominated – Steven Kane, Jackson Christie, Gary Meechan
- Offensive Player of the Year – Dougie Meechan
- Also nominated – Fraser McDonald, Jackson Christie, Neil Baptie
- Defensive Player of the Year – Gordon Wallace
- Also nominated – Chris Dick, Steven Kane, Angus Mackintosh
- Rob Worboys Players’ Player of the Year – Steven Kane
- Players who had multiple nominations were – Gordon Wallace, Angus Mackintosh, Neil Baptie, David Fallon, Struan Bailey, Chris Dick
- Player of the Year – Neil Baptie
- Also nominated – Steven Kane, Angus Mackintosh
Share this article